Jun 30, 2008

A post of Christmas past, and Christmas future.

It seems we are laying tentative plans to fly to Australia for Christmas 2009! Maybe we'd be able to afford it more comfortably for, say, Christmas 2012, but until she's two years old, Adelaide can fly for free. So we're going to take advantage of this wonderful thing.

It is, you see, one of the only wonderful things left about flying.

I don't know if they've done this over in Australia, but some of the domestic airlines here (United Airlines is one of them) have started to charge for every checked bag. It used to be you could get two bags checked at no charge, but now every single bag you check will cost you a sweet US$15. I guess it will mean people will try to pack lighter, therefore reducing fuel consumption or something, I guess. But you know who is going to be negatively impacted by this most? Families. If we each pack one bag, that's $45. If I take a stroller, that takes it to $60.

Not only THAT, but I've also heard today on CNN that they are going to be more strict about carry-ons. Well, that's great. Not only are the airlines going to charge us for checked luggage, but on top of that they're going to go all carry-on-Nazi on us. Fantastic.

I'm not saying airlines can't introduce fees or restrictions where they see fit. When it comes down to it I'd rather pay an extra $15 or $30 and be able to go back to Australia for a bit, than to not visit at all. But it's going to make traveling frequently a lot more unattainable for us. Which is sad.

Anyway, this post wasn't started so I could gripe about airlines. I wanted to share with you all my exciting news about Christmas 2009!

At this point in time, Aaron's brother Matt, and Matt's lovely girlfriend Sarah, are planning to come over as well, but will probably do some of their own thing rather than spLinkend the entire time with my family (fair enough - I go crazy spending time with my family, and I'm one of them - can't imagine what it's like for an outsider... poor Aaron ;-P).

Mum and I have already started planning - Christmas on the beach! We'll rent a couple beach houses or shacks, either down at Kingston or closer to the Coorong (if it hasn't been completely extincted or dried up by then...), have some seafood on the barbie for lunch, have a hit of beach cricket, go for a swim (maybe even hire some surfboards??), and get hammered. A typical Eckert family Christmas wouldn't be complete without getting hammered.

Exhibit A: Submitted for your approval - particularly Kerrin - the time she got wasted and I believe there was a SuperSoaker and peanut chucking war started, including peanuts being ditched at the kids over the neighbor's back fence? And I believe Kerrin was overheard saying to her 18-month-old baby, "Hello Vallie, Mummy's very drunk!"

Exhibit B: Then there was the time Aunty Chris ordered two alcohol baskets from Chrisco, and Sam was mixing drinks for Dad and Gaz first thing Christmas morning, so by the time I got back from church most everyone was on their way to being well and truly sloshed, and we polished off a bottle of champers on the way to the cemetery to say hi to Gran and Lala? And then Dad drank the cream?

Ah, memories...

If you don't know of these events and are now viewing me with some apprehension, please be assured that I'm usually the sober one. Hence why I remember all these events!

It sure is going to be interesting introducing little Adelaide to her extended family. The kids are all nuts (but adorable), the bogan streak is well and truly alive in the entire family (some more than others...), they/we are all very loud, and our way of thinking is very "small town". Not really anything like the subdued but awesome Plein family! Hopefully there will be within her an unquenchable Eckertality (see, Kia Rondo, I can make up words too) that will come out and prepare her for The Crazy. We'll see what happens.

No comments: